If you are a resident in any of the EU/EEA countries, you are protected by the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR). Learn more on our corporate website.
We will collect personal identification information from Users in a variety of ways, including, but not limited to, when Users visit or use our Site, subscribe to email alerts, and in connection with other activities, services, features or resources we make available on our Site. Users will be asked for, as appropriate, name, email address, mailing address, phone number. Users may, however, visit our Site anonymously. We will collect personal identification information from Users only if they voluntarily submit such information to us. Users can always refuse to supply personal identification information, except that it may prevent them from engaging in certain Site-related activities.
Non Personal Data
We will collect non-personal identification information about Users whenever they interact with our Site. Non-personal identification information may include the browser name, the type of computer and technical information about Users' means of connection to our Site, such as the operating system and the Internet service providers utilized and other similar information.
Types of personal data that will be held by Pearson:
- Contact details including contact name, address, telephone number, fax number, e-mail address
- Longman Teachers' Club and Pearson Fan Club identification details including name and membership details
- MyPearson ID and Longman Education Accesscode Program identification details including Log-in ID, Password, name, attending/attended school name, class, level, registration number, STRN, email address, mailing address, telephone number
- Education level
- Details of school attending/attended including school name, school address, subjects interested in, adoption and purchase record of Pearson materials, including Longman branded textbooks.
- Details of school employed at including school name, school address, academic subjects of interest, academic subjects taught
- Results, records, and accumulative progress from visiting interactive content
- Occupation, employment position, number of years working experience
- Suggestions, personal opinions, enquiries
- Interests and hobbies
- Internet browser type and version*
- Personal computer operating system*
How personal data is collected by us?
Pearson will collect personal data from visitors to the web site when they:
- visit Sites (including all companion websites, LEAP, Teaching Resource Centre, Pearson Fan Club, Longman Teachers' Club, Longman Teachers' Club (Pre-school), Home Study Programme, Game, Current Issues & Forum, Dictionary World and other web pages in the site)
- download application forms, make on-line subscription of particular subject(s)' information from Sites
- sign up for any individual user accounts or school-based accounts
- email for enquiries
- visiting interactive content
- complete questionnaires, respond to surveys, or
- participate in competition, enrol seminars, promotional events or training courses
Pearson will conduct desk research to collect personal data. Sources will include personal data and other information posted in World Wide Web, government publication, newspaper, magazine, registered associations' release, and any other information which is released to public.
Pearson also obtains personal data from all kinds of primary research such as sales visit, personal and telephone interview, focus group discussion and so on.
Pearson will also obtain personal data where you have supplied it to another entity within the Pearson plc group of companies, and you have consented for that entity to share personal data with Pearson.
Cookies & Domain Name Server (DNS) Address*
A. Pearson web server will also collect data relating to visitors' online session, the use of which is to provide aggregated, anonymous, statistical information on the server's usage so that Pearson may better meet the demands and expectations of visitors to our sites. This type of data includes:
- the browser type and version
- page visited
- frequency and duration of visits
- results, records, and accumulative progress from visiting interactive content
- operating system, or
- the DNS address and/or domain name
B. Certain Pearson web pages may place a "cookie" on visitors' browser in order to provide personalized services and/or maintain their identity across multiple pages within a single session.
Purpose of Collecting Personal Data
Purposes for which personal data may be used include:
- sending written notifications in relation to the company's activities, competitions, promotions, and events
- sending written notifications in relation to the services provided under the website and other related products and services
- marketing of books, CD-ROMs, cassettes and other related teaching and learning resources
- conducting customers, products and services surveys, activities and joint-promotions with third parties (please refer to Section V.C)
- evaluation and further enhancement of the company's products and services
- processing games, lucky draws and promotional events
- provision of on-line teaching resources and useful web linkage
Transfer of Personal Data
We do not sell, trade, or rent users' personal identification information to others. We will not allow unrelated third parties to use your personal information for marketing without your consent.
We will share generic aggregated demographic information not linked to any personal identification information regarding visitors and users with our business partners, trusted affiliates and advertisers for the purposes outlined above.
We will disclose and share personal information with the third parties listed below. Because the internet is a global environment, you accept and agree that this will include the transfer of your personal information to other countries around the world, including UK, USA, Canada, Singapore, Australia, Philippines, China, Egypt, European Economic Area. We will share your personal information:
- with any entity which acquires any part of our business
- with our service providers (including, for example, suppliers who develop or host our sites, suppliers who power our digital works, or who operate mail list services for us, cloud service provider, storage service provider, call centers)
- with third-party search engines that will index user profile pages and usernames as part of the URL of the user profile page by default
- if required or permitted by law
- with other third parties with your consent, including the school (including teachers and principals) which the account holder attends, or the school in which the account holder teaches or works.
How we protect your information
We adopt appropriate data collection, storage and processing practices and security measures to protect against unauthorized access, alteration, disclosure or destruction of your personal information, username, password, transaction information and data stored on our Site.
Protection of Children*
Visitors to the web site who are not adults or otherwise have no full legal capacity must obtain permission from parents or legal guardians before undertaking any of the following activities:
- sending any individual personal information or any information about others
- entering any contest, game or lucky draw
It should be noted that once permission is obtained, the user should only submit a first name or initials to be publicly posted on the web site. A full name should never be used.
By providing your personal information to us, you represent and warrant that you are adults or have otherwise permission from parents/legal guardians to provide your personal information and transact on our Site.
In the event that collecting personal information of minors upon permission from their parents/legal guardians, we will only use or disclose to public such information under the condition that it is permitted by law, or by their parents/legal guardians, or it is necessary to do so to protect the minors.
If we found that we collected any minor’s personal information without any prior permission from their certified parents/legal guardians, then we will exert our best effort to delete such information immediately.
Nothing stated in this Policy shall limit the rights of any data subject under the Ordinance or other applicable laws. However, there are certain exemptions. They include exemptions from subject access and use limitation requirements of the Ordinance or other applicable laws their application is likely to prejudice certain competing public or social interests, such as: security, defence and international relations; prevention or detection of crime; assessment or collection of any tax or duty; news activities; and health.
Pearson reserves the right to change this policy at any time by notifying the parties concerned, through a notice posted on the Homepage, or by e-mail, fax, or mail, of any updates.
Data Access and Correction Requests
The Data Protection Officer
Pearson Education Asia Limited
28/F, 1063 King's Road,
Quarry Bay, Hong Kong.
Fax: +852 2565 7440
Pearson will not charge you any fees with these regards.
Your acceptance of these terms